Expertise Areas: Personal Data Protection, IP and IT, Life Sciences, Commercial Law and Retail.
Attorney at law Liudas Karnickas advises clients on IP&IT, Data Privacy and Commercial Contracts. Liudas has exceptional experience in advising healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors. He consults on IP protection strategies and commercial deals and is an active participant of the legislature related to biomedical research.
Liudas has 11 years of professional experience in two major pan-Baltic law firms.
In 2017 Liudas co-founded the Lithuanian Data Protection Officers’ Association and was elected chairman of the board of the association.
He is certified data protection officer (ECPC-B Professional DPO Certification from European Center on Privacy and Cybersecurity, Maastricht University).
Liudas is the author of IP Law and Management course and the visiting lecturer at ISM University of Management and Economics.
2016 to date, Partner, Law firm Karnickas & partners;
2013–2016, Head of IP&IT practice, Law firm Cobalt;
2011, Legal Intern, European Patent Office, Munich, Germany;
2005–2013, Senior Associate, Law firm Ellex Valiunas.
- OneTrust DataGuidance: recommended data privacy expert;
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2020: „”It is fantastic to have Liudas Karnickas by your side. His work is consistently great and you feel safe in his hands,” one client remarks. The versatile IP and technology lawyer operates out of Venckutė & Karnickas. “;
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2019. Next Generation Lawyer (Technology, Media and Telecommunications). “Law firm Venckute&Karnickas has attracted an impressive range of clients, including internet service providers and life sciences and telecoms companies <…>. The department is led by Liudas Karnickas and has been strengthened by a number of new additions <…>”;
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2019: “A notable name at Venckute & Karnickas, Liudas Karnickas “is highly trusted and great at representing his clients” – especially in the pharmaceutical sector.”;
- Media Law International (2018, 2019): recommended for media law practice in Lithuania;
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018. Next Generation Lawyer (Technology, Media and Telecommunications). “Liudas Karnickas has considerable regulatory experience and advises on matters of cyber-security, personal data protection issues and clinical trial regulations.”;
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2018: “Appreciated for his “straight-to-the-point commercial advice”, Karnickas is “proactive and creative” and has “a deep understanding of IP matters”.”;
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2017. Next Generation Lawyer (Technology, Media and Telecommunications);
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2017: “Commercially attuned Liudas Karnickas at Venckutė & Karnickas packs a mighty punch in the healthcare and pharmaceuticals sectors.”;
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2016. Recommended as particularly strong in advising on commercial IT and IP agreements;
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2016. Recommended as “erudite, responsive and “sharp as a tack”.
Queen Mary University of London, the United Kingdom, LLM in Intellectual Property Law with Distinction;
Mykolas Romeris University, Vilnius, Lithuania, Master degree in Business Law;
Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands, Law studies;
Mykolas Romeris University, Vilnius, Lithuania, Bachelor of Laws degree.
Lithuanian, German, English, Russian.